How to start a Scholarship Fund
In creating a Scholarship Fund, you invest in your community's future and show students you care. Your Community Foundation provides the expertise to help you meet your personal goals and awards scholarships to deserving students. Your gift can help students – from preschool to postgraduate – achieve their lifetime dreams.
2012 Archie C. Towle Scholarship recipient, John Wyatt Uhl-Chmiel of Wausau, pictured with members of the Towle Scholarship Selection Committee
How it works
- You make a gift to your Community Foundation – you can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets.
- We set up a Scholarship Fund in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
- You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made.
- Our professional program staff helps you to determine eligibility requirements for the scholarship you establish – whether they are based on a student's field of study, academic achievements, extracurricular activities, financial need, background, or geography.
- We handle all the administrative details – and award scholarships to deserving students in the name of the fund you establish.
- Your gift is placed into an endowment that is invested over time. Earnings from your fund are used to make grants to students that meet your specific criterion. Your gift – and all future earnings from your gift – is a permanent source of community capital, helping to do good work forever.
For a complete listing of Scholarship Funds administered within the Community Foundation click here.